Creating Lasting Change: The Power of Mini Habits
Change is hard. Really hard.
How many resolutions have you set that never made it past February? If the number is big, you’re not alone. Research has suggested that while 40% of Americans make New Year’s resolutions, only 8% of those resolutions are actually achieved. Why? Because resolutions rely on motivation.
Use our 5 mini habits approach to achieve all your goals in 2021!
Five Step Approach to Form New Habits:
- Develop a plan – Select your mini-habit. Pick a trigger (e.g. time of day) which will prompt you to implement it. Select a reward. Write these down.
- Track your progress – Keep a log on how you’re doing. Note occasions when you’ve scaled up in duration, difficulty, overcoming obstacles, etc.
- Develop a reward system – Give yourself a reward only after you’re finished with your mini-habit for the day.
- Surround yourself with a support network – The people you spend time with do impact your habits, both good and bad. Surround yourself with people who are good at what you want to achieve.
- Build in accountability – Your log tracking your progress holds you accountable to yourself. Telling your support network what you’re doing so they can encourage you will help you to be accountable to them.
The good news is that habits are malleable throughout our life so it’s never too late to improve something for the better.